Show us your grind!

edited August 2017 in CO2 Extraction

Grind size is crucial to getting full yields quickly. What size are you grinding?

Comments

• When we grind our bud we like it to be corn kernel or smaller. More along the lines of granola.

• Here's a picture:

• 1.4-1-7mm, don't have a pic atm

• We use a Hammermill tabletop grinder with a 3mm mesh screen

• all about surface area.......

• The team at OutCo in El Cajon, CA have studied in detail, the impact of particle size (and uniformity/size distribution) on CO2 extraction yield. They have a new App note that will be published in LCGC Mag & The Analytical Scientist (online). I can also email a copy if you'd like to read it. [email protected]

• I'd love a copy Barry!! Thanks for sharing with the Community, too!

• @Barry_FritschMilling said:
    The team at OutCo in El Cajon, CA have studied in detail, the impact of particle size (and uniformity/size distribution) on CO2 extraction yield. They have a new App note that will be published in LCGC Mag & The Analytical Scientist (online). I can also email a copy if you'd like to read it. [email protected]

@Barry_FritschMilling I'd love to get my hands on that! Let's connect! [email protected]

• There is a big difference between granola and 1.7mm size of particles. Any thoughts how this is influencing extraction in terms of time and compounds being dissolved?

• Smaller particle size is a shorter more efficient extraction.

• Is to fine a grind bad - total newbie - I have super dry material wants to turn to dust
    Thanks for any help ! This is only the first of many silly questions I will be asking .

• I don't have a picture but I would tend to concur with the smaller is better option, operating on a limited budget has left me with a Ninja Grinder but is does a pretty solid job considering. On occasion I will grinding through once and let the material air dry a little more over night before grinding again. It isn't a huge particle size difference but its noticeable.

• My biggest concern about too fine a grind is filter clogging and penetration @preacher. If it doesn't clog you should be fine.