It's time to update your notification settings! Receive email and in-browser notifications by updating your profile. Click "Notification Settings" and sign up for email updates to threads in various Categories.

Gin Basket Extraction Possible?

My friend Is a craft distiller who's experienced in building small-scale stills. Would it be possible to make a THC extract by putting weed in a "Jin Basket" set up for making gin. (basically a botanical basket that is placed in the column of the still) the usual placement would be coming in contact with the vapor before condensing to infuse for flavor. ( My placement of the "basket" will be after the vapor condenses and is a hot liquid.)

That being said the liquid/vapor temperature wont exceed 180F, so im unsure if i should decarb before trying this or just raw material.
my other concern is that this will be just herb flavored alcohol. (marketable maybe, but not what I am looking for)

Skipping the purchase of Everclear, ISO, 151 etc. and just make your own & making green dragon at the same time.

Does anyone have experience with this or think it may be possible?
Regardless I will be testing this in small scale until I find out if it works for THC extraction/CBD or if it's just extracting flavor of the cannabis.
Or advice on where I might find the answer if I'm asking in the wrong place.

TL;DR green dragon distillation, gin basket method? distilling alcohol with cannabis for THC extraction.
-MossBoss

Comments

• I will be attempting this in the following weeks hopefully have good results to share. With detailed measurements, weights and equipment needed/used if successful or not

• Great, keep us posted!

• @MossBoss said:
    I will be attempting this in the following weeks hopefully have good results to share. With detailed measurements, weights and equipment needed/used if successful or not

ok well a few setbacks so it may be months rather than weeks .
    still trying to figure out if I would need to decarb before it comes in contact with the solvent, or if the hot solvent would decarb it as it went through the material?

• That will be an effective way of flavoring your alcohol. Not effective in infusing the Gin with THC or other cannabinoids.
    We remove fats and waxes from extracts by winterizing. that involves dissolving whole extract in ethanol, cold filtering out the fats, then distilling out the alcohol. the alcohol that is recaptured in distilling has virtually no Cannabinoid in it.
    To answer your second question about decarbing. Decarb happens at about 220- 240 deg F. Not much decarb will happen while distilling gin.

If you want to infuse your gin with THC or other cannabinoids, add extract or distillate after stilling.. Cannabinoids are soluble in ethanol.

If you want to flavor your gin with bud, in your jin basket, that should work.
    Then infusing/ dissolving cannabinoids after that that would probably work. My experience with extracts is that just a little bit will add a lot of flavor. You may want to use a distillate, or isolate that is free of terpenes to provide cannabinoid content.

• @pindoctah said:
    That will be an effective way of flavoring your alcohol. Not effective in infusing the Gin with THC or other cannabinoids.
    We remove fats and waxes from extracts by winterizing. that involves dissolving whole extract in ethanol, cold filtering out the fats, then distilling out the alcohol. the alcohol that is recaptured in distilling has virtually no Cannabinoid in it.
    To answer your second question about decarbing. Decarb happens at about 220- 240 deg F. Not much decarb will happen while distilling gin.

If you want to infuse your gin with THC or other cannabinoids, add extract or distillate after stilling.. Cannabinoids are soluble in ethanol.

If you want to flavor your gin with bud, in your jin basket, that should work.
    Then infusing/ dissolving cannabinoids after that that would probably work. My experience with extracts is that just a little bit will add a lot of flavor. You may want to use a distillate, or isolate that is free of terpenes to provide cannabinoid content.

Ok, Ill try to go in order and explain a bit better.
    This is not a traditional jin basket set up it wouldn't work being inside the column aside from flavor yes, but if the herb(most likely pre-decarbed) was in the collection jar or at the end of the 'run' where the liquid alcohol is dripping into the collection jar.

Im not sure who "we" is but im looking to figure this out, think 'moonshining' like as little equipment as possible. I can winterize and distill to refine the product sure, but im not sure I personally have the means to distill the 'finished product'. If I follow correct distillation is to separate most of the alcohol from the extract?

Decarb- knowing the temps, but unsure if the long process would make a difference...didn't have high hopes for it to decarb while distilling. More curious than anything.

As I mentioned earlier in my original post just flavoring with NO; CBD, THC, etc. is NOT what im looking for.

Ive got seasons worth of plant trim so thats why im asking about this.
    depending on what happens. I may try both ways raw and decarbed and see if there is a difference.

My goal is to take a lot of leg work out of making 'Green Dragon' but now im not so sure.

Thanks for answering!

• First of all, I like your thinking. A single process for distilling and infusing at the same time could definitely have some advantages. So, if your final goal is to have a gin with THC you'll definitely want to decarb your material prior to extraction otherwise you'll have majority THCA which is not psychoactive in the body. If your alcohol passes through your material at about 180F your resulting extract will likely be dark with a lot of fats and possibly chlorophyll, so I wouldn't expect a great color or flavor. THC is very soluble in alcohol even at low temps, and the lower the temperature of your alcohol, the fewer undesirables you extract. Ideally, to leave behind fats you have to be running at subzero temps, but at the very least you should try to avoid pulling chlorophyll into your solution. Even at room temperature it is possible to extract some chlorophyll so I expect you'll want your material basket located in a place where the liquid gin has cooled to at least room temp. Not sure if this is possible with a rudimentary distillation setup as I know the only requirement is to cool the hot vapor into a not-so-hot liquid, but cooling down to room temp or below may require more energy input than desired. I think the best use of your material is to first decarb and then perform a simple room temp wash with the gin and you'll have your "Green Dragon" - same process as an alcohol tincture.