It's time to update your notification settings! Receive email and in-browser notifications by updating your profile. Click "Notification Settings" and sign up for email updates to threads in various Categories.

Is winterization necessary with cold wash or Cryo Ethanol

Is winterization necessary with cold wash or Cryo Ethanol? We are seeing up a facility and we're trying to get answers on winterization, and when it is and is not necessary

Answers

• I’d still would like to know what is meant by “winterization”, can anybody explain it please?

• @Angel said:
    I’d still would like to know what is meant by “winterization”, can anybody explain it please?

Winterization is the process of eliminating fats and lipids from the oil.

https://brinstrument.com/blog/cannabis-distillation/winterization-of-cannabis-oil-extracts-to-remove-fats-and-waxes/

• Winterization is the PROCESS of chilling your extract/alcohol solution to damn cold (-20 to -40C) followed by filtration. The PURPOSE is to remove the waxes etc. that were extracted along with the good stuff. Keep the filtrate liquid (diluted oil) for further workup. The waxes on the filter paper are trashed.

• PS: you need to do it cold (the colder the better) to precipitate the waxes (i.e., drive them out of solution.
    I've also heard that extracting with chilled alcohol works pretty well to eliminate the need for separate winterization. Haven't seen any data to compare yields and purity of the final product, however.