There's got to be a better way to dehydrate our extracts - Any suggestions?

One of my least favorite parts of post-processing CO2 extract is dehydrating the extract in the vacuum oven. Any other ideas for making this go faster?

Comments

• I saw someone use a sheet of glass with 400 watt grow light about 2 ft underneath. They spread the extract on the glass and folded it like fudge until the water evaporated. I have not used this method myself, but they swore by it.

• I use my dehydrator after a run in my eden labs co2 extractor to get all the moisture out
  • edited August 2017

When you are above 300K in the supercritical range water is less soluble in carbon dioxide. For example, when the carbon dioxide is 50 deg c compared to 40 deg C, it dissolves about half as much water. So you could try running at a warmer temperature, that should leave less water in your extract (ref: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1015294905132).

• @jdouglas This is a great lead! Thank you! Looking forward to exploring this. @Ctilzer This is interesting too...

• Have you thought about pre-extraction dehydration of the feedstock?

• Also, pay attention to ambient (room) conditions: the amount of humidity in the air is dependent on where you live. If you’re in a humidity-prone area, inert conditions are important to factor into making a high quality product. That starts with running a dehumidifier at full blast in the room that you’re preparing your fresh plant materials in.

It's also possible to purge your fresh plant material before freezing with dried co2. (For more ideas see: http://bit.ly/2xx6BXQ). The reason for purging your fresh plant materials before freezing is to remove humidity in the air/atmosphere. That atmospheric humidity has a tendency to condense on the buds as they are freezing.

• In the past I have used a Separatory Funnel along with the gentle aid of a heat gun. It isn't the most fun cleaning but it worked well enough for me.

• @Alaskan_Thunder said:
    In the past I have used a Separatory Funnel along with the gentle aid of a heat gun. It isn't the most fun cleaning but it worked well enough for me.

Please, may you describe, what is Separatory Funnel?

• @jdouglas said:
    When you are above 300K in the supercritical range water is less soluble in carbon dioxide. For example, when the carbon dioxide is 50 deg c compared to 40 deg C, it dissolves about half as much water. So you could try running at a warmer temperature, that should leave less water in your extract (ref: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1015294905132).

Yes, but how this change of SF CO2 properties influences on solubility of desired extract?

• I don't imagine freeze drying the starting herbal material would work to remove the moisture, but I've never tried that yet. When I have used freeze drying for biologicals, they come out pretty dry. Just a thought.

• I am thinking different these days. At least for medical extracts, tinctures and oils I think the whole plant needs a quick dip 2-3 minutes in solvent, just long enough to get the whole stick and ball. 93%+ of what I want. Reduces to golden honey pure and clean, no plant matter.
    I have been studying every extraction method now going on 23 years. I produce 96 percent pure full spectrum extract (lab tested) which will cure what ills you.
    CO2 is good too, don't do quick and improve your product 2 fold. Handling the plant most important step of the process. I have seen 28% thc turned to 17% just by untrained techs ruff handling. My plants never see a plastic bag, you can't bust up the plant and expect to keep your complete stick and ball.s, it's just not going to happen and will have most scratching their heads. I gently cut limb by limb handle it like gold dust, seriously, I have been involved in a lot of testing for purity. When I am done dipping plant is stripped of all trichomes and none of the plant matter very little fat which gets caught in a ceramic funnel with vacuum gets most of it, two runs and it is clean.

No heat greater then a dehydrator,
    I just let it dry on a pan, takes 10-18 hours.
    The Strain is most important raw material and takes training to handle. Try to stay away from hybrids with more then two crosses, as its properties will vary. Skunk No.1 + TrainWreck good, night time, med. Blue Dream, Afgan Goo SourDesil any nice pure sativa makes a potent day time med. Run in CO2, super freeze solvent, I use 96% percent pure ethanol which evaps great, the better, highier percent makes all the difference.
    After air drying the batch gets chopped in half, thca cbdg, [which means non-psychoactive cancer, autoimmune seizures ms killer]. The other half gets heated in a magnetic mixer with digital hot plate decarboxylation to activate the thc-cbd activated, this is also know as RSO (and a great man he is) ratio should be 10-1 thc to cbd. I hope this helps as this medical miracle can be achieved ever run, I have seen what it does first hand with my own eyes, fing amazing is all I can say. Take you time and run ever batch like it is gold